Thursday, April 3, 2008

Things That Make You Happy When You are SO TIRED...

I have sadly only slept about 6 hours in the last 3 days...Spent Tuesday night operating on a man until 1:00AM and was back at the hospital by 4:30AM to take him back to the operating room. Was then called last evening at 2:00AM that one of our patients who is 80 years old had become unresponsive. After a few interventions, she was actively trying to bite and kick me by 3:30AM, back to her baseline mental status....

4 years in undergrad....$15,000
4 years in medical school...$90,000
3 years in a general surgery residency with 3 years to go...working 100 hours a week and earning $5.00 for every blissful hour

Being assaulted by your 80 year old patient in the middle of the night and then being happy about it....PRICELESS!

5 comments:

Veronica said...

I am so proud of you Meg! I don't know how you do it day in and day out! I am thankful you have such a passion for medicine! You are a GREAT doctor! Love you tons!

Emily said...

I started my day with a laugh, thanks.

John and Brittney said...

That's a good story! I feel so sorry for you guys, you are probably walking zombies every day. We love and miss you!

Mindy M. said...

I would only want you for my Dr. if I lived close!! You are the best!! You have pretty good bedside manners, too, unlike some Dr. I have been around. Hope you have a great weekend!!

Laurel said...

you make me feel like royalty. i admire all your hard work and think one day it will all be worth it! and i need to thank you for showing brady the he shouldn't do general surgery