Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Beverly Hills, 90210


As only Weezer can say it, "Beverly Hills, that's where I want to be...living in Beverly Hills." My days of serving the indigent, Spanish speaking only..."Tiene nausea or diarrhea, cirujia ante...si o no", cross the border from Mexico and come straight to the hospital with a diagnosis and full medical chart looking for only the health care the great U-S-of A can provide, and less we forget the never-ending gang-bangers of Los Angeles (I sure will miss my gunshot wound gangsters yelling at each other from their respective gurnies about me being their doctor) is now on sabbatical for a year as I will now be treating the rich and the famous at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Beverly Hills. Today was the first official day of my trauma and surgical critical care fellowship in which I will be completing over the next year before heading back to fabulous Harbor-UCLA for my final 2 years of general surgery training. I feel very blessed to have this position, one usually filled by someone who has finished their entire surgery residency. Today was spend in 6 hours of Fire Safety Training, which after about 30 minutes I was ready to set myself on fire as an example to be extinguished just to get out of the thing. Besides, I already have first hand experience and putting out fires as I had to extinguish a patient and the fire engulfing him earlier this year in our emergency room. He decided to smoke while on oxygen in his isolation room...very tragic, passed away the next day. Back to orientation, less we digress. There was an hour and a half between our morning and afternoon sessions during which I was able to amuse myself by shopping Robertson Blvd...aka, shopping boulevard to the celebrities. One store I was in kept talking about Nikki Hilton being in there that morning and how they were glad the paparazzi were finally gone. I have to admit, it will be tough spending free time at the Beverly Center..."honey, patient not doing well, not sure when I will be able to make it home"...interpretation, I am shopping and will be home later. Bloomies, H&M, Steve Madden, MAC, Chanel, BCBG, Kitson just to name but a few....oh yeah, and I will be getting excellent training!

8 comments:

Veronica said...

What a dangerous combination....a premier hospital across the street from the Beverly Center....OH NO! Todd, put the kabosh on spending right now. You made me laugh right out loud with your descriptions. Can't wait to get weekly blog updates on your next year! WOW! You deserve it! So proud of you, honey!
Love you. ps glad you didn't set yourself on fire!

Emily said...

Oh I liked reading your update. Can't wait to hear about what happens when orientation is over!

Alissa said...

Looks like the moonlighting money may come in handy...watch out Todd!

Mindy M. said...

What a fun blog to read!! You always make everything sound so exciting and the descriptions of things are great!! Stay away from the stores though!!! Concentrate on work and you'll never know they are there!!! Let us know if you see anyone famous @ the hospital though! :)

Laurel said...

I am glad you will have a good experience there. I am so happy and proud of you. You were so funny in your blog and will be a great leader at Cedars

John and Brittney said...

Loved the post Megan. Love the stories, sounds like you have quite the life!! I am very excited for you and Johnny and I are proud of you.

Charles, Kellie, Gabe and Khale said...

That is awesome - congratulations! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. As far as your patients from the last few years, I can totally relate. Before the gangsters hit your hospital, they were in my classroom.

Jill said...

I'm excited to hear some wild fun shopping stories soon, oh and also the days at the hospital. Maybe I wont buy People mag. anymore since you will be able to update me on the live of the Rich and Famous!:)