Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fabulous Friends!



When I reflect upon my time in medical school, it isn't the studying or rotations that come to mind. My first thoughts are always of my precious friends Alissa, Amber and Rebecca (left-->right in the picture above) without whom I would have never survived those difficult yet delightful four years. We all quickly became friends early into our first year. The library to much unhappiness always knew of our presence as we couldn't go more than a few minutes without laughing about something or other. I still remember fondly studying pharmacology during the spring of our first year and the sayings we made up to remember the drug...what it treated...mechanism of action...side effects. A table full of candy and snacks while trying to study 8-10 hours a day for 6 weeks while preparing for Step 1. Learning the ins--and--outs of physical exams while each taking our rightful turn as the patient. And let us not forget to mention...the oh so often and always needed shopping escape!

A few weekends ago my dear friend Amber was able to visit from Utah. Amber is in her last year of OB-Gyn residency and will be starting a laparoscopic gynecology fellowship in Michigan this summer. She is truly my shopping soul-sister! I miss her dearly but treasure the time we do get to spend together when I visit Utah and when she can make an escape to Cali for a shopping excursion.

Amber arrived on Friday afternoon. I was able to share her first Pinkberry experience...glad it lived up to the hype! That night Todd, Amber and I drove to Sherman Oaks (30 minutes north of LA) to have dinner with our good friend Rebecca and her husband Dave. Although Rebecca lives only ~45 minutes away from me, it is all too infrequent that we see each other.

Alissa...we missed you!  Can't wait to see you while I am in Utah soon!


Rebecca, Amber and Me...




Todd and Dave



Saturday morning Amber and I were up early and on our way to Orange County to go shopping at the mecca they call South Coast Plaza. Two shopping divas and seven hours of uninterrupted shopping (not a stop was made to eat or use the bathroom) and still about 1/3 of the mall was left unexplored. We then hurried home to relax for a short time and then we were off to Santa Monica with Todd to enjoy dinner at a great Italian restaurant along the ocean front.




Sunday we spent the day talking and reminiscing to the evenings of nicknaming all of the potential wives on "The Bachelor" while watching an episode from this current season. And then all too quickly, it was time for Amber to return to delivering babies and removing those uteruses now misbehaving.


Thanks for taking the time to come visit...can't wait for my visit to Utah soon!

8 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so glad your friends love shopping as much as you do. Plus you live in such a fabulous shopping area. How wonderful she came to visit you, and another lives so close by. Looks like a super fun weekend. You are the most stylish Dr. I know!!!!

Veronica said...

I am thankful for your dear friends who were able to join you at the hip through med school. I know they were a tender mercy and gift! So happy you are staying in touch. Love you and I am having so much fun with your visiting....it is going way tooooooo fast though.

Emily said...

I am so glad that you have such good friends and that you have kept in contact with them!

Andrea said...

Oh, I'm so happy to see your four beautiful faces - you ladies are truly remarkable. Those years were frankly the worst of MY life, and looking back on them I definitely think that meeting you amazing women was probably the only good that came out that experience. I'm glad I got to know you for the brief period of time I did. Thanks for being who you are, and always being so kind to me, despite my utter reclusiveness! What an inspiring group you ladies are!

BTW, will you please pass on a big hello to Rebecca for me - I don't know how to get a hold of her!

Steven and Whitney said...

I bet you are in Utah now--giving little Paisley loves and kisses! Have fun with your family!

Laurel said...

i am so amazed at you amazing women! I am always proud to brag about your accomplishments and I am glad you have met great friends on the way. I have loved being with you and will miss you when you leave. Love you! and Paisley will be devastated when you leave too!

Charles, Kellie, Gabe and Khale said...

All right Megan, I want you to take me shopping. You always know the best places to go and you are always dressed so cute. I can come down there or you could come back to San Francisco. :-) (Todd am I going to regret this request?)

Mindy M. said...

Having great friends sure make life alot easier! It's nice to be able to pick up where you left off and true friends really love you for who you are and there for you anytime! You have wonderful friends and you are a wonderful friend too!! I would love to go shopping with you too, but not in high heels! OUCH!! Love you!