Monday, March 16, 2009

Counting My Blessings...

Todd and I are both suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder after the events of this past weekend. He and I had met some friends in Long Beach to have dinner on Friday evening. We had both driven because at 7:00pm, Todd was still at USC having had his afternoon clinic run late and it was faster for him to meet me in Long Beach than to drive across town to me and then to Long Beach. We had a fantastic dinner and enjoyed the company of our good friends. We started our trek home heading north on the 405 a little bit after midnight. He and I were talking to pass the time. As we were just passing the LAX airport, we both noticed a car pulled off onto the right hand shoulder facing the wrong direction. Shortly after, a car in the fast lane quickly pulled in between me and Todd and quickly cut across all 4 lanes of traffic. As he did so, Todd had to quickly slam on his brakes which then sent him into a tailspin. Todd then proceeded to skid across 2 lanes of traffic and hit the cement median head on, bounce off and spin in a counter-clockwise direction hitting the back-end which then sent him spinning again to facing the right direction and skidding forward along the median. I was unfortunate to witness this all from my rear-view mirror as well as hear the distinctive sound of smashing metal. Todd uttered and moaned a few words following the crash and then the phone was dead. I was driving as quickly as I could to get to the next exit in order to turn around and get back to him. I had called 911 only to be put on hold for over 5 minutes while "waiting for an available dispatcher." Approximately 10 minutes following the accident, I was back to Todd and soon found that he was alright. It was still another 10 minutes before the first highway patrolman arrived and another 10 minutes before fire and paramedics arrived. The north-bound 405 was temporarily shut down so that the police could push Todd's non-functional car over to the right shoulder and await a tow truck. His car is totaled. Even more upsetting is the fact that the other driver got away, never even having stopped after causing this accident.

Todd is doing well. It is an absolute MIRACLE that he was not injured. He walked away with only bumps and bruises. I truly know that there were angels watching over and protecting him that night. How grateful I am for my precious husband, whom without I would be utterly lost.


Rental Car: $25/day
Price for a totaled 2006 Toyota Camry: $12,000
New 4-door sedan: $30,000
Watching your husband walk away from a horrific car accident: priceless

9 comments:

Mindy M. said...

Okay, I am sitting here reading this and crying!! I am so thankful everything was okay with Todd and that the car was the only thing totalled! I would have been a mess if I would have witnessed that! You two are watched over more than you know! Hope you have a better week. Is there pictures of the car or of Todd's bruised body? (Like his back-end) HeHe Love ya both!!

Alissa said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad you are both okay! Did they take him to the hospital, or did you drive him home? I would have been shaking--not in a good place to drive. Wow. Glad you are alright.

Andrea said...

That is my worst fear, and I cannot imagine literally watching it happen. Every morning we pray to travel safely - I'll be praying with new appreciation now.
Glad you're both well.

Veronica said...

I get teary every time I think of what could have happened. I am so grateful that angels were there to save Todd. I do know that he is your other half and there is not anyone else for you. Love you and pass my love on to Todd.

Jocelyn said...

I have been so worried since i've heard about it! I hope that todd is starting to feel better. I am so grateful that he is okay it is a miracle! Love you both so much!

Charles, Kellie, Gabe and Khale said...

AGHHHH! I am so glad that Todd is okay. I am sure that you were both scared to dealth. When you mentioned that the other driver got away, my only question is this....Is there any chance Coach Blaisdell was in California over the weekend? (If any Blaisdells read this blog, I am just kidding...kind of.)

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

I am so glad Todd is alright...How scary. I am sorry you both had to go through that.

Jill said...

I'm so grateful to know Todd is alright!!! I'm so sorry you had to witness the entire thing. That must have been awful driving back up to see him. Angels were watching over him!!! Love you and so glad all is OK. Sorry about the car. That's does stink!!!
I erased my above message, was typing fast and had many typos.