Tuesday, March 3, 2009

MS Awareness Week



March 2-8, 2009 is MS awareness week. All of you who follow this blog know someone who suffers from the disease...my beautiful mother. Although you would not know by watching her, this is something that she has had to deal with now for about 10 years. You will never hear a complaint about how or what she is feeling or struggling with. She will never let you know if she is tired or not feeling well. She is the first to volunteer to serve all those around her, never thinking of herself.

Every year at this time, 600 MS walks are held around the country in order to raise awareness and funding for MS research. I will be participating in the MS walk either in Utah or California this year. If possible, I encourage all of you to look into the walk in your area. You can walk with your family in honor of my mother and those others you may know who also suffer from the disease or serve as a volunteer along the walk route. I had the privilege of doing this a few years ago with my family...it was very touching to see those so stricken by the disease that they are now wheelchair bound, being pushed along the walk route by family and friends. How fortunate we are that my mother has not progresed to this point, and I pray that she never will.

Thanks Mom for your example of service and gratitude. Thank you for teaching me to always try to look outside of myself to those around me. I hope that you know how much I love and admire you!!!

5 comments:

Laurel said...

that was such a sweet post to bring awareness to ms and compliment mom on her amazing ability to not let ms take away from living her life.

Veronica said...

What a shock to have your blog appear with my picture on it. Dear daughter, you are too kind and generous with your praise. Thank you! Thank you for reminding people about the MS walks. I am so very blessed that I am doing great! I hope and pray that I might be remembered for being a loving wife and mother and not let my life be defined by MS.....it is part of my life, but not the whole of my life. Thanks for your constant love and support. Love you so much.

Mindy M. said...

YOu are so wonderful and always thinking of others! I will be rodeo-ing that weekend but I will participate in other ways. It was fun when we all did the walk. Sad to see so many that struggle with this disease. I pray always for the good health of my favorite sister and the strength she has. Love ya so much!!

Steven and Whitney said...

Steven and I will be volunteering hopefully in St. George in April. It's been a while since I checked out the website, so I will make sure he gets on it!

Your mother has been such a wonderful example to me throughout my life. She is the strongest person and has the strongest spirit and fight in her. I love your mom more than I can even express. What a touching tribute to such a wonderful and beautiful lady.

Jocelyn said...

I am so glad to read that post. mom is amazing and i am so happy that you have given some information.