Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude



To borrow from the words our beloved President Monson:

Accentuate the Positive
Eliminate the Negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mr In-Between.

Good advice then, good advice now. This is a wonderful time to be living here on earth. Our opportunities are limitless. While there are some things wrong in the world today, there are many things right, such as teachers who teach, ministers who minister, marriages that work, parents who sacrifice, and friends who help.

We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative though and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude may be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the most noble of virtues.


As life is what it is, I ofter find myself bemoaning my life and my current circumstance. However, during this season of Thanksgiving I reflect on the countless things that I have to be thankful for.

I am grateful for my husband: All of those who know Todd are able to appreciate the wonderful man that he is. I thank my Heavenly Father daily for blessing my life with his love and companionship!

I am grateful for my family: I truly have the most fabulous and loving family! How thankful I am to have been born to the parents I have and for my siblings and extended family...I couldn't ask for better!!!

I am thankful for the gospel: As I interact daily with people who are not blessed with the gospel in their lives, I feel guilty for not sharing more openly this most precious gift that I have. I am grateful that so many people are intrigued by "Mormons" and feel so comfortable in asking me about my beliefs and this gospel. I pray that I may be the example that helps lead someone to investigating and accepting the gospel one day as I know with all of my heart that it is true!!!

I am thankful for the opportunity to be a doctor: More days than not, I am often rather disheartened and unhappy with my career for a number of different reasons. I am more tired that words can express and often feel unappreciated by the people I work for and those I take care of. However, I think back on the day that I opened my acceptance letter to the University of Utah School of Medicine feeling that it was one of the happiest days of my life. I am grateful for all those who made it possible for me to attain my education and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have to change people's lives and help them many in their greatest time of need.

I am grateful for my temporal blessings: Although I often complain to Todd that I am anxious to live in a house, how selfish I am for these feelings. I am grateful for the wonderful roof I have over my head, the food in my fridge, and the car I have to drive. We are blessed with the ability to go out to dinner, to go shopping, to go to movies and sporting events, and to fly home to Utah frequently. In a time of recession, how grateful I am for my job and a husband who works so hard to support us.

I am grateful for good friends: As excited as I am at the prospect of moving to Utah when residency is completed, I do feel sorrow at the dear friends that we will leave here in California. Todd and I are blessed with many wonderful friends from both church and work that we love and appreciate.

This list could go on and on, as it is truly endless. How thankful and grateful I am for all of my blessings!!! I hope that I can adopt an unwavering "Attitude of Gratitude" and recognize my blessings, big and small, daily.

10 comments:

Laurel said...

Love your list and it is a good idea. LOVE the quote from president monson. Wish I could be with you guys over the holiday. Love ya!

Mindy M. said...

You just said everything I am teaching in my 1st RS lesson next Sunday. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your testimony of the true gospel. Love you and can't wait to see you over the holidays ~ your quick visit!!

Emily said...

Loved your list...we do have the best family ever!

Veronica said...

Tears came quickly as I read your blog of gratitude. Thank you for the IMPORTANT reminder that we are blessed beyond what we deserve and that the blessings are eternal. I am so grateful for our family and the gospel. I am grateful for the love we share and the joy I receive because of family and the Savior. Thanks Megan! My day will be all smiles after reading your blog. Love you!

Jocelyn said...

thanks meg! i love to hear what your grateful for!

John S. said...

Megan,
I needed that excellent reminder today!
I have far more than I deserve. My wife, family, church, and country are too good to believe.
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see you and Todd in a month.
Love,
Dad

The Spencer Family said...

Love your list....

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul postat de tine. M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut.Cu siguranta am sa il mai vizitez.
O zi buna!

adrianaglarap said...

I am grateful for had reading your post =)
Loved your list.

SweetWICK said...

Great blog. THanks for being so raw about your faith, we could all do a little better in sharing! Love the blog and especially this post. Thanks for sharing!