Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Butter Me Up...

I started my morning rounding on a 64 year old man who I operated on a day ago. He has tubes coming out of nearly every orifice and extremity and let me know how miserable he felt with them. He then proceeded to tell me how young I looked and that last he knew 18 year old girls were not allowed to be doctors..."Does your mother know where you are and what you are examining on me this early in the morning???"
Then came the begging to remove the tube from his nose...
--Megan: "No, sir, I am sorry but I can't do that. You will get sicker if we take it out too soon."
--Patient: "Ok then, how about the foley catheter...can you at least take that out?"
--Megan: "Well, we would like to leave it for another day or so, but sure if it will make you feel better we can take that out for you..."

I guess it is true...flattery will get you everywhere...

4 comments:

Veronica said...

You are toooooo funny......I think most of your patients probably think you are 18 years old or a model......doctor?????? NO!

Emily said...

That is funny! Now he knows to ask you for anything that is bothering him!

Mindy M. said...

You are the best doctor you cute little red-headed teenager!!!! I bet most of your patients really wonder if you have a medical degree. Keep up the bloggin and the cute stories!! Miss & love ya!

Laurel said...

I want you as my doctor anytime I am uncomfortable I can sweet talk you into helping me! I love that story. Keep posting stories when you have time it is nice to hear about your daily life.